Despite trends toward renewable energy and “clean tech”, oil and natural gas remain the lifeblood of modern civilization.
Oil and gas infrastructure – from extraction, to refining and processing, to pipeline transmission and distribution – utilizes some of the largest, most powerful, and potentially noisy equipment of any industrial sector. Processes such as hydro-cracking, distillation, isomerization, liquefaction and regasification involve large scale compressors, furnaces, gas-turbines, fan-cooled heat exchangers, and large-scale evaporative cooling systems. The location of these facilities is also constrained by the geography of incoming feedstock or outbound distribution channels, such that this large scale infrastructure often needs to coexist in otherwise quiet environments, close to noise-sensitive communities.
Noise Assessments and Mitigation Solutions
HGC Engineering has worked internationally with owners/operators, on-site environmental/health & safety personnel, constructors, and their consulting engineering teams to provide accurate and cost-efficient, site-wide noise assessments and mitigation solutions for refineries and gas processing/distribution facilities throughout North and Central America and the Caribbean.
Acoustical Engineering Services Include:
- Feasibility Studies
- Baseline Noise Studies
- Site Wide Acoustic Assessment Report (AAR) for Environmental Compliance Approvals
- Noise Contouring and modelling
- Sound Audits/Acoustical noise monitoring during construction
- Complaint Investigation
- Occupational Noise Exposure Assessments
- Equipment Vibration Mitigation/Isolation
- Noise Control Support
- Noise Impact Assessments (NIAs) to meet Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) Directive 038: Noise Control as required for Directive 056: Energy Development Applications and Schedules
- Acoustic Assessments to satisfy the requirements of the IFC (International Finance Corporation, World Bank Group), and IIF (Inter-American Investment Corporation, Inter-American Development Bank)