Pier 27 is a master-planned residential community, built over multiple stages, and situated directly on Toronto’s lakeshore just east of Yonge Street. In the first two stages of development, four 14-storey glass slabs were built offering 690 residential units extending on a north-south axis perpendicular to the shoreline with eye-catching “bridges” that sit, horizontally, on top. These bridges are in reality three-floors tall penthouse suites. The Tower at Pier 27 was the third phase of the project. At 35-storeys, and with 336 condo units, the Tower offers 6 levels of amenities including a rooftop outdoor pool, party room, gym, yoga studio, private theatre, and health club & spa.
HGC had been the acoustical consultant on this major downtown Toronto residential community from its inception going back almost a decade. One of the acoustical challenges and points of contention that this project originally faced was its relative proximity to the neighboring Redpath Sugar industrial facility to its east.
As a result, a “Noise Barrier building” was included in the new development’s design to shield the noise and visibility of Redpath operations, and to relieve its possible noise impact on other future buildings at Pier 27 as they were being developed. We also conducted construction vibration monitoring and assessment during the third phase of the project.
Acoustical Consulting Services Included:
- Environmental Noise and Vibration Study
- Building Services Noise and Vibration control (HVAC Systems, Pumps, Compactors, Generators, etc)
- Acoustical Privacy Between Suites
- Noise and Vibration Control of Amenity Spaces (party room, gym, yoga studio, private theatre, and health club & spa, etc)
- Façade and Glazing Specification
- Shop Drawing Review
- Construction Vibration Monitoring and Assessment,