Hotel X is a 26-storey boutique luxury hotel fully integrated with a sports, entertainment and business conference complex, built on the grounds of Exhibition Place in downtown Toronto. The development features a unique Conference Centre and Cinematech that caters to the needs of the city’s film industry . The multifunctional bi-level Cinematech features a 250 stadium-style seat cinema and a separate 56 seat screening room.
The Conference area has 13,000 sq. ft. of meeting rooms and pre-function space.
Moreover, the hotel and complex features 10XTO, a luxury athletic club and spa with amenities that include:
- 4 indoor tennis courts
- 8 squash courts
- 6,500 sq ft. fitness centre
- 4 fitness studios: GroupCycle, Pilates, Group Fitness and Hot Yoga
- Strength Zone featuring high-performance fitness equipment and HIIT classes
- A 3,000 sq ft. Play Centre for children with separate sports court
- A pro shop/retail lifestyle centre
- Virtual Golf Zone
- Men’s & Women’s locker rooms with large steam room
- Members’ Lounge & Café
- 25-meter swimming pool
The fairgrounds the hotel is located on is also home to a large Amphitheatre that often stages rock concerts and the Toronto Indy racecourse runs nearby. The Amphitheatre and Racecourse noise impact were factored into the design of the Hotel complex façade.
Early in construction the archeological remains of an old barracks long buried under a parking lot was uncovered. As a result an extensive portion of the stone foundation walls of the building – built in the 1840s to house British soldiers – along with period artifacts will be covered with glass and used as a walkway entrance to the hotel. HGC undertook vibration monitoring during the shoring and excavation process to ensure no damage was done to the stone foundations and still surviving Stanley Barracks.
We provided complete acoustical engineering services for the hotel complex.
Acoustical Engineering Services Completed Include:
- Building Acoustical Review
- Building Services Noise and Vibration control (HVAC Systems, Pumps, Compactors, Generators, etc)
- Acoustical Privacy Between Suites
- Noise and Vibration Control of Amenity Spaces (Cinemas, Pool, Spa, Gym, Fitness and Sports Complex, Conference and Meeting Areas, Restaurants, etc.) In particular Noise and Vibration intrusion into the cinemas and conference areas from other amenity spaces
- Architectural Acoustics of Cinemas
- Acoustics of, and Privacy between Conference Centre Meeting Rooms
- Window Acoustical Review
- Façade and Glazing Specification
- Vibration Monitoring During Construction