Location: Welland, Ontario, Canada
Owner/Operator: GE Canada
Architects: CSO Architects, B+H Architects
Construction Manager: PCL
In 2018 GE opened a new state-of-the-art $165 million multi-modal factory in Welland, Ontario. The plant builds reciprocating gas engines used in power generation, as well as components that can be used in diesel engines for locomotives. The facility was built on a greenfield site with a footprint of approximately 450,000 square feet. The Facility features machining, assembly, test and warehouse functions. Three test cells accommodate engines of up to 9 MW. Furthermore an on-site Energy Center housing three gas engines provide electrical power and compressed air for the facility and both front office and plant operational administration areas. The double storey front office and plant operational administration areas include a main reception, security hub, gathering spaces/exhibition areas, offices, telepresence rooms, training and meeting rooms, staff gym facilities and associated welfare areas (medical and mother & baby room). HGC addressed interior noise and vibration in both the production facilities and corporate offices. We also addressed environmental noise to support regulatory approvals as required.
Acoustical Engineering Services Included:
- Acoustical Privacy Between offices, meeting rooms, amenities, and production facilities etc.
- Noise and Vibration Control of Common Spaces
- Shop Drawing Review
- Site InspectionsConducted a detailed acoustical assessment in accordance with Ontario Ministry of the Environment procedures
- Building Services Noise and Vibration control (HVAC Systems, Pumps, Compactors, Generators, etc)
- Assessed interior sound levels with respect to workplace hearing conservation
- Predictive Noise Modeling
- Noise Control Recommendations
- Acoustic Assessment Report