The National Centre for Audiology
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Located at the University of Western Ontario, Elborn College, The National Centre for Audiology (NCA) is a world-class centre of excellence in audiology research, teaching and clinical science. This London, Ontario based facility is an international leader in hearing health care, with the largest educational and research programs in this discipline in Canada.
The Centre is home to one of the province’s largest Anechoic Chambers, sponsored by the Beltone Corporation and equipped with a computer-controlled 64-speaker array that allows sound processing capabilities to be studied in a real-world environment. The NCA also has state-of-the-art laboratories such as the assistive devices and electrophysiology labs, and a hearing research clinic that permits diagnostic audiology research using behavioural and electrophysiological measures. HGC Engineering completed the acoustical design and specification of this world-class, state-of-the-art research facility.
Acoustical Engineering Services Included:
- A site survey of environmental noise and vibration levels from neighbouring road, rail and air traffic sources
- Designed the building envelope for sufficient noise insulation
- Designed the shape and specified the performance of the large hemi-anechoic chamber free field audiological testing and research
- Specified a number of acoustical rooms and audiometric booths
- Silenced the HVAC systems for these critical spaces.