Join our dynamic team as a Financial Controller, to play a pivotal role in driving the financial operations of our growing company. Reporting to the President, this newly established position will be crucial in consolidating and streamlining accounting processes, optimizing cash flow management, and enhancing our project and corporate budgeting practices. Your expertise will be instrumental in supporting our expansion efforts into western and eastern Canada and the United States. Our team moves quickly, so we’re looking for someone who builds trust through competence and taking personal responsibility while bringing initiative and tenacity to everything they do.
HGC Engineering is proudly Canadian and one of the country’s largest employee-owned consulting firms specializing exclusively in noise, vibration, and acoustics. The company is headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario, where its foundations were laid in 1994; we also have growing satellite operations in both Canada and the United States. You’ll be joining a team of nearly 40 professionals who are committed to delivering clear and practical solutions for a diverse range of projects.
Your Key Functions & Responsibilities
- Financial Operations:
- Oversee the full-cycle accounting process including day-to-day transactions, accounts receivable/payable, and payroll.
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and interface with external Canadian and US accountants; report relevant data to external agencies as required.
- Monitor and manage cash flow to optimize working capital and liquidity.
- Invoicing Systems Management:
- Oversee invoicing processes to ensure efficiency and accuracy.
- Provide input to project budgets and ensure compliance with contractual agreements.
- Evaluate existing invoicing and accounting systems and make recommendations for optimization, including selection and implementation of alternative software platforms.
- Financial Strategy and Planning:
- Working with the Senior Leadership Team, develop and implement financial strategies aligned with the company’s growth objectives.
- Provide insightful reports to aid in decision-making processes and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and internal controls.
- Drive the annual budgeting process, including revenue projections and expense forecasting.
- Finance Team Leadership and Development:
- Lead a high-performing finance team, providing mentorship and guidance, reinforcing our core values, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement and professional development.
Your Characteristics, Skills & Knowledge
- Advanced ability to strategically analyse financial information and processes and make clear and substantiated recommendations to the Senior Leadership Team.
- Driven by progress through analysis while confident and excited to help others understand the business through the numbers.
- Strong financial acumen, including a full understanding of common accounting software.
- Manage time well and can prioritize effectively to meet deadlines while completing accurate, high-quality work.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate effectively and able to coach and mentor direct reports.
Your Qualifications & Experience
- A CPA accounting designation is required.
- 5 years progressive experience in similar roles at a small-to-medium sized professional services company, ideally with experience in growth and cross-border expansion.
- Proficiency in our current financial software (Sage, BQE CORE, SugarCRM) considered an asset.
More About Us and What We Offer
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience ($90,000 – $110,000).
- A flexible remote working policy.
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, with semi-annual performance bonuses and long-term potential for share ownership.
- Opportunity to make a significant impact in a dynamic and growing company.
All our employees share a commitment to technical excellence, client satisfaction, and a strong work ethic. We balance that with a strong culture that fosters genuine relationships among co-workers and good health.
We are an enthusiastic, cooperative, and supportive team focused on embracing and nurturing the unique talents and strengths of each of our team members to have a positive impact on our clients and the communities they operate in and serve. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are key priorities at HGC Engineering, and we are committed to a workplace environment that is fair, accessible, and respectful for all employees.
If you want to be part of a strong, dynamic team, then this may be the role for you. We look forward to hearing from you and welcome you to apply with a resume and cover letter.
To apply for this position please reply with a resume and cover letter to the attention of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
Please note: only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.